I’m digging away the top one inch of my lawn, putting down lawn fabric, and covering it with new stone. Every bucket of dirt I bring back must be meticulously gone through for worms and other likewise tasty morsels.
**scratch scratch, back up, look, peck peck peck, repeat**
Last night Phoebe passed away.
We don’t know what caused her death. It could have been her gut was filled with egg yolks, or worms, or a tumor, or a cyst.
Rest in peace. I’ll miss you terribly, Phoebe.
Some Facebook love I got from Backyard Chickens Page
Phoebe is in my makeshift chicken hospital. The heat has been too much for her and she’s been panting for days. We’ve dunked her in cold water, fed her cold fruit and veggies, had a fan on her roost in the coop, but nothing has stopped the panting and holding her wings away from her body. It’s like her thermostat is stuck. After another restless night worrying about her, I brought her in and gave her electrolytes and her own food in case she’s been too weak to feed and hydrate herself properly. Hoping this will do the trick and get her back to her normal sassy self.
1. For every 10 pictures you take with an iPhone of a chicken, 9 will be blurry.
2. You can’t make a chicken pose. All you can do is put out some food and hope for the best.
3. It’s almost as fun watching 4 chickens discover overripe cantaloupe for the first time as it is a one year old with their very own birthday cake.
4. It’s next to impossible to get 4 chickens in one picture without at least one being blurry.
5. But it’s sure fun trying.